May was a bit of a strange month weather wise. One minute nice and warm, the next chilly with just a bit of rain. We really haven’t had as much rain as we normally do and the garden certainly needs a good soak. For 2 weeks I wasn’t able to do much gardening as various aches and pains made themselves felt all at once, so I have been trying to catch up with all the weeding necessary.
I have been working in the bog garden where the weeds have been waist high, the ground has been lovely and moist because of the underground stream and I found it ever so satisfying being able to just slide all the tall docks out, complete with long roots, the same with the buttercups. I have managed to finish the weeding in this area so now I can turn my attention to the next area to be tackled.
I still need to pay attention to my carving, sanding with a coat of preservative, but hopefully that will be done soon. There are still spaces where primulas are missing from last year, but hopefully I’ll soon have those replaced.
For a while I thought I had lost my beautiful rodgersia, it was so late coming through, but it has now popped up and is spreading very nicely indeed. I love the leaves at this time of year but they do turn green later.
Euphorbia palustris at the back of the border shines out from the shade and the bees love it.
This lovely primula survived last summer’s drought and has grown into a nice sized clump which I can split as soon as it has finished flowering.
Iris pseudocorus variegata is in need of moving further back in the border, it is encroaching on other plants and will be moved when it finishes flowering.
Primulas Postford White has replaced the ones from last year which didn’t appear this year. I will be saving seed to increase it.
Primula Apple Blossom getting cosy with one of the hostas in this border, all the hostas are doing really well.
Another hosta which really likes being in the bog. It is spreading nicely and now makes quite a large clump.
Hosta Snowden has only been here for a few years but already it is quite huge and contrasts nicely with the astilbe in front.
Zantedeschia aethiopica Glencoe is a new addition. My last Zantedeschia was fantastic, it had made a huge clump, but I lost it over the winter, must make sure that never happens again.
Primula chungensis is a replacement for some of the ones that didn’t appear this spring, more seed sowing to be done!
The border looks so much better without all the weeds round all the plants, it was quite hard work sorting everything out, especially winkling all the grass out that had crept into the border from the lawn. Finding my old plants in amogst all the mess was so rewarding for all the bending and strtching that I was having to do!
I know which border I will be tackling this month, so will report back at the end of the month with the results for that one.