By reviewing what we have done in the month, I can make sure that I am keeping up to date with what I had planned to do, or that is the idea! Hope it doesn’t go the way of New Year’s resolutions!! The main area that I am concentrating on is the bog garden where I am splitting plants, moving plants and buying a few new plants, hopefully to make it more interesting and extend the flowering period.
Doesn’t look much at the moment does it! The wheelbarrow on the right is holding all the lovely primulas that I bought in Scotland last year and didn’t get round to planting because I felt so awful with my muscle problems. Thank goodness they survived the winter in their pots and are now sprouting .
I can also see some Foxgloves bought at the summer fete in the village last year, some Primulas found at a nursery in Ireland and some more from a nursery on Dartmoor, thank goodness for internet shopping!
This is the other end of the bog garden, it will soon be time to unwrap the wood carvings which have been protected all winter. The area in the foreground now has lots of cowslips which are starting to flower, will show these in another post at a later date.
Bought some Primula denticulata the other day at our local garden centre, went through all the plants that were on offer and made sure that the ones that I bought could be split into 3 or 4 after flowering. Apologies to any of you that run a nursery!
Six weeks ago we moved what was one large clump of what I thought were Iris and divided it into three. Now that they have sprouted, they turned out to be 2 clumps of iris and 1 of daylilies!!
A large clump of Euphorbia palustris was moved and split into two. Everything seems to have moved very well, thank goodness.
The bank at the back of the bog garden is quite dry and shady, I’m sure we could do more with it. I’m thinking of moving some of my wild snowdrops here and also some of my wild primroses. In the soil at the base of the bank I could move all the foxglove seedlings that I found in another part of the garden and then in front again I could find a home for this year’s Meconopsis seedlings – that’s the idea anyway!
At the same time we have pruned all the roses, had to have help from my husband with the climbing roses, just hadn’t the strength to hold my arms up for more than a couple of minutes, a very quick lesson on pruning roses and he did very well!! Clematis have also been pruned, epimedium foliage cut back so that we can see the flowers, spirea cut back and old fern foliage removed, it’s amazing how much you can do in the odd half hour here and there! We managed to get done all that I had hoped to do this month, now to make a start on all the weeding!