Two areas that I have replanted recently are now starting to look like I envisaged. There is still a long way to go with both of them, but already they are an improvement on what was there before. The border by the field next door was the first of the two areas to be redone and I will start with the left hand section.
I moved Hemerocallis Stafford to this border a number of years ago, and split the clump into 3, as you can see, there is far too much repetition of the day lily foliage and therefore not much interest apart from all the flowers. Two clumps of Stafford can go to another home, but the rest can stay for now. I am growing some cuttings of Plectranthus argentatus so should have 2 domed plants with silvery foliage to plant out next year. I’m also growing on some cuttings of salvias, these should form some vertical interest, along with some veronicastrum. I think a grass or two would be nice here too but I’ll have to think about which one I want.
This section, coming up to the centre of the border where it is at it’s narrowest, is a bit better with Malva moschata alba weaving its way through this part. A verbascum has put itself at the front of the border, where it has been allowed to stay because of its contrasting foliage and further on you can see the jagged silvery foliage of my cardoon. This area also has tall campanulas which have already been cut down. I keep trying to grow echinacea in this border but they just dwindle away, never to be seen again, which is a pity, maybe I could try growing some from seed.
A close up of this section of the border with yet another red daylily, this one will go as it is quite a lot taller than the yellow one behind, I’m sure I can find something smaller for the front of the border.
As well as the white malva which seeds itself along the border, feverfew also seeds itself along, mingling with everything else in the garden, I think it is in most of the borders. If I need space to plant something more interesting, usually it is one of these two plants which get sacrificed, as I have so many.
This is the worst bit, the centre of the border. At each end the border is quite deep, about 10ft, but here in the centre it is about 3ft. This is where a campanula has run riot and I think choked other plants that I have there, I really will have to remove most of the campanula, to give the other plants a chance, even though they did look so lovely when flowering earlier. Grass has seeded in between the campanula so the whole area looks such a mess, a lot of digging out is needed.
This next bit is a tiny bit better with a bit of contrasting foliage, berberis, phlomis and Euphorbia Dixter both of which which flowered quite a time ago. But it is a jungle in there, a lot of sorting out is needed urgently and something flowering at this time of year needs to be planted. I leave the seedheads on the Phlomis through the year because I have found loads of ladybirds like to overwinter in all the little spaces.
The end part of the border, which joins onto the pergola which goes through to the fruit and veg, I’m quite happy with. It seems to have ended up with a lot of blue and yellow so I might as well go with the flow and keep this area to these colours. Flowering at the moment are the blue buddleja, clematis and hydrangea with yellow Crocosmia Solfaterre, and Lilium African Queen. Soon there will be Rudbeckia flowering here along with Aster frickartii Monch. There is a problem with a pink flowered spirea which thinks it can take over the border, that will have to go, as it is even coming up in the middle of the pampas grass which is on the left out of shot.
The blue lacecap hydrangea marks the end of the border by the field, the flowers are coming through a deeper blue each year, it must be the leaf mould I mulch it with!
Planted right next to the Hydrangea is the Clematis Perle D’Azur which climbs up the pergola, keeping company with the white rose Mdme Alfred Carriere who is out of sight on this photo. This end of the bed can be seen at the left hand edge of the header photo which was taken at this time last year.
This border doesn’t really get into it’s flowering mode until the Day lilies start flowering. This autumn I will plant daffodils at the back so that their dying foliage will be hidden by the perennial foliage. I will also try some tulips as the soil in this border is quite well drained, it being on a slope. These can be followed by some alliums and agapanthus could follow on from the day lilies. I also intend to plant more Michaelmas Daisies for later on, so hopefully by next year, this border will be a lot better. I always feel it takes about 5 yrs for a border to come together and reach its peak, so according to that, I have another 3 yrs yet to fiddle with the planting!
We managed to rescue Crocosmia Lucifer the other day, between showers.
These two photos show how the flowers were battered by all the rain we had.
At least now, the flowers won’t be cut off when the undergardener cuts the grass in the next few days. When he is riding round on the lawnmower, anything lying in the way of the machine just gets cut away!
I didn’t want it to be trussed up like the Sunday chicken, I don’t think it looks too bad from a distance. Maybe I ought to have something permanently in place so that this doesn’t happen again.
From the house, it looks fine, still the centre of attention!
Excuse me! I don’t provide peanuts for the squirrels of the neighbourhood.
Yes, that’s you I’m talking to, I also didn’t provide the planter for you to sit in while you are stealing the nuts! The only way that the squirrel can get to the nuts is to climb onto the roof of the house and jump down, we quite often see him flying past the window, I think we will have to move the feeders!
With thanks to Helen at The Patient Gardener for hosting this monthly meme where we can see what other gardeners have been up to over the last month, do please pay her a visit.